Chocolate pecan pralines

I really enjoy shopping, but my favorite kind of shopping is shopping for anything to do with baking. Every time I go to the store with baking supplies I have to stop myself from buying the whole store. Last time I went shopping I have bought two polycarbonate chocolate molds. I have seen professionals use them and I was interested and wanted to try them out. I normally use silicon molds for my chocolates, they work fine, the only issue I had with them was when I was unmolding the chocolates.The chocolates would break or they had holes in them. Also when I have poured the tempered chocolate in the mold I did not see if there were any holes in the shells because the silicon is brown and not see-though like the polycarbonate molds.

After using the polycarbonate mold I can say that it is better than the silicone mold, the chocolates just fell out after I have gently taped the mold on the table. It was also easier to make the shells, after I poured the chocolate in the mold I taped it so that the excessive chocolate flowed out of the mold. When I have done this with the silicon mold it twisted and the chocolate went everywhere. Sure the silicone molds are cheaper and easier to find, especially here in Slovenia, but I think that it is worth investing in a polycarbonate mold or two. I have a combination of molds and then depending on my mood I pick a silicon one or a polycarbonate one.

Whether you chose a silicon mold or a polycarbonate mold, the most important thing when making your own chocolates is the type of chocolate you choose. I have made some chocolates with couverture chocolate,(it is a high quality chocolate that contains extra cocoa butter) but I wanted to experiment with a chocolate that you can buy in any store. I have found this Lind dark chocolate (70% cocoa) and I have decided to make my chocolate shells with it.
This is the chocolate I used
They turned out nice and shiny, the flavor of the Lind chocolate is quite bitter so I made a sweet filling to balance out the bitterness of the shells. The filling I made for this chocolates is a pecan praline filling with milk chocolate ganache.

Chocolate pralines
 (Makes about 30 chocolates) 

 Time:
Preparation: 15min(shells)+15min filling
Cooking: 20min(shells)+15min filling
Cooling: 15min(shells)+15min filling
Resting: Few hours
For the chocolate shells:
  • 200g dark chocolate (I used Lind 70% cocoa)
For the filling:
  • 100g granulated white sugar
  • 25 pecans
  • 100g milk chocolate
  • 50g heavy cream
Making the filling:
Put the sugar in a small pan and place on medium heat, when the sugar starts to melt shake the pan a few times to ensure that all of the sugar melts. Cook until the sugar is dark amber. Meanwhile place the pecans on baking tray on top of the parchment paper.
When the sugar is dark amber pour it over the prepared pecans, tilt the baking pan so that the caramel spreads around the pecans and evens out. Set aside to cool.

To make the milk chocolate ganache, chop milk chocolate into small pieces, place them in a heat proof bowl and set aside. Heat the heavy cream in a pot until it boils. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and wait 2 minutes. Stir the chocolate mixture until all the chocolate melts. Put in the fridge to cool.

When the caramel with the pecans is cool enough break it into pieces and place it in the food processor. Blitz until you end up with fine crumbs. 
Combine the pecan/caramel crumbs with milk chocolate ganache or you can pour the ganache in the food processor and blitz it all together for a light and creamy praline filling.

Making the shells:
Chop 150 grams of dark chocolate in medium sized pieces, put in the heat-proof bowl and set aside. Chop the remaining 50 grams of the chocolate in tiny pieces and set aside.Put some water in a pot and heat gently to a simmer. Place the bowl with 150 grams chocolate on top of the pot, the water should not touch the bowl. When the chocolate starts to melt, stir and check the temperature. Keep checking the temperature until it reaches 45-48°C (113-118°F). When the chocolate reaches the right temperature take the bowl of the heat and stir in the remaining chocolate. The temperature should drop. Stir the chocolate gently to cool until it reaches 27°C (81°F). When the chocolate is cool enough place the bowl back on the pot of simmering water and heat back to 30-31°C (88-90°F).


Now the chocolate is at the ideal working temperature, and you must work quickly. Fill the mold with chocolate, tap the mold a few times so that the air bubbles pop. Make sure the mold is fully covered in chocolate then flip the mold over the bowl of remaining chocolate so that the excess of chocolate drips off back into the bowl. The whole process is a bit messy but try to save as much chocolate in the bowl for later. Smooth off the chocolate from the mold with the palette knife. Flip the mold upside down on the cooling tray to ensure an even coating then put the mold in the fridge to set, it should set fairly quickly. Keep the remaining chocolate at the working temperature by gently heating it up or you can use a hair drier to gently heat the chocolate directly in the bowl. Be careful that it does not exceed 31°C (90°F) because then you will have to start the process all over again.
Pipe the prepared filing in the chocolate shells. Do not overfill and leave room for the top layer of the chocolate.

Pour the remaining chocolate over the mold and smooth out with the palette knife, tap the mold a few times on the bench to make sure that there is no air inside. Place in the fridge for 5 minutes. Take out of the fridge and let the chocolates set in the mold for a couple hours or overnight at room temperature for maximum shine. If you are in a hurry you cold unmold the chocolates after 10 minutes.

To unmold the chocolates just tap the mold on the table a few times and the chocolates should pop out easily. If using the silicone mold just gently push the chocolates from the bottom up. 

Wrapped up for a nice gift.

















Comments

Popular Posts